Monday 23 September – Saturday 28 September 2019.
Theatre Residency Week (TRW) is the longest running theatre program of its kind in Australia. Over the past five decades, young artists from all over the country have attended this week-long intensive theatre camp. Queensland Theatre is proud of the impact this program has had across generations of theatre artists.
Theatre Residency Week (TRW) is a week-long intensive theatre camp for students in years 9-12. Students live on campus at Stuartholme School in its boarding facilities and spend each day developing their acting skills, with workshops and activities. Students work towards creating a group performance for a live audience, which families and friends can come and watch on the final day. In the evening, students are engaged in an exciting social and cultural program, including excursions to see live theatre and opportunities to network with leading artists from Queensland Theatre. TRW is held each year in the September school holidays and is attended by students from all over Australia.
Theatre Residency Week will run from 4pm, Monday 23 September – 9am, Saturday 28 September. It is held at Stuartholme School, Toowong.
In the daily workshop program, students choose core group activities to suit their interests. Each of these core groups (usually a maximum of 20 students) are facilitated by experienced Teaching Artists, carefully selected by Queensland Theatre. For their pastoral care, participants are divided into House Parent Groups of approximately 15 students. Each House Parent is experienced in working with young people and we ensure a number of House Parents have First Aid Training. All staff onsite have successfully passed a Working with Children Check by the Queensland Government. Students are supervised at all times and Queensland Theatre exercises all due care, but also requires students to act with respect and care during the week.
• Core Group and Afternoon Workshop tuition (over 40 hours of class time)
• Five nights’ accommodation in dorm style rooms
• All meals (including morning and afternoon tea)
• Tickets to a mainstage theatre production and a touring in-school show
• All-inclusive social and cultural program, including networking opportunities, a theatre panel with Queensland Theatre artists and other social activities
• Tickets for family members and friends to attend the TRW Showcase
Please fill in the registration form found at the bottom of this page.
Once you have submitted this registration form, you will be directed to a payment screen where you must pay a $145 deposit in order to confirm and hold your position. Placements are confirmed in order of receipt and it is necessary to both submit this form and finalise payment of the deposit to reserve your spot. In previous years, Theatre Residency Week has sold out. To avoid disappointment, submit the registration form and proceed to the payment page to pay the deposit. Full refunds are offered for cancellations prior to Friday 16 August 2019. After that date, the $145 booking deposit is no longer refundable. Final confirmation of your registration is subject to the submission of detailed enrolment information, including the disclosure of information relating to the ongoing management of any illness or condition. TRW enrolment forms will be distributed in July.
The following scholarships are available for eligible students to apply for in 2019:
• Queensland Theatre’s Regional and Remote Area Scholarship
For students who live over 200km from Brisbane and would benefit from financial support to gain access to TRW. This scholarship pays for the program cost only. There are three scholarships available.
• The Artistic Director's Emerging Artist Scholarship
For students who demonstrate a passion for theatre and are interested in a career in the performing arts industry. This scholarship pays for the program cost only. There is one scholarship available.
• Queensland Theatre’s Indigenous Scholarship
For Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students who are interested in developing their acting and stagecraft skills. This scholarship pays for travel to/from TRW and the program cost. There is one scholarship available.
This scholarship has been donated in memory of David Page.
• Indicate on your online application that you intend to apply for a scholarship
• Attach a letter (200 - 250 words) to your online application that addresses why you would benefit from a scholarship. Please identify which scholarship you are applying for. This letter should be addressed to Laurel Collins, Director of Education, Youth and Regional Engagement. You may also wish to attach additional documents like a supporting reference letter or CV
• Applications for scholarships close on Friday 26 July. Scholarship winners will be announced on Friday 2 August
• There is no application fee to apply for a scholarship in 2019
• Please note: Applying for a scholarship, and awaiting the outcome of the application, does not secure or hold a place at TRW. If you would like to reserve a place at TRW, whilst you await the outcome of your scholarship application, you must pay a $145 deposit to hold a place. This deposit is fully refundable in the event of being awarded a scholarship or cancelling your booking (prior to Friday 16 August)
If you have any questions about TRW or scholarships, please contact Laurel Collins: Director of Education, Youth and Regional Engagement, on firstname.lastname@example.org or (07) 3010 7606.